January 25, 2020

Our Biggest Mystery Tour Yet!


I have that feeling you get right before you are about to cry but I know in my heart (and want you to know) that these tears will be tears of joy. Honest. 

I have lived and continue to live, an incredible life for which I am truly greatful and one of my greatest gifts are my two kids.



They have given me the opportunity to explore motherhood, (for which I am no expert) but they have always shown respect, patience and love during this time as we all moved through the various ages and stages!   I must say my husband and I worked very hard to create a warm, safe and loving home where the kids were encouraged from a very early age to express their feelings, opinions and to take risks knowing they could always find safety in our hugs. I believe in part, this helped them build the self confidence they have today as they develop into incredible contributing adults with empathetic hearts who will make a difference.

If you know me, I myself have grown as a woman and my role has changed also as I have navigated the years raising them at home, choosing not to work during the early years and later carving out work that always allowed me to meet their needs first. I remember as a family reading the Berenstain Bears picture book Mama's New Job shortly before I started teaching preschool, my first job post kids. It is important to note this job allowed me to teach my youngest all while on the grounds of my daughters elementary school, my first step to letting go.

We have come to a place where I have to admit the roles are reversing as I likely may need the loving support and patience from you, my kids, as I navigate through this next year. I am heading into uncharted territory as an  empty nester and a house that will definitely miss the kids laughter, music (the record game!) and activity that comes with a busy household. It's no secret I have been missing my daughter during her past three years away at university but this year my son will be joining her, yes at the same school across the county.


I have read much about this phase of life and I am living it now!  I however have to say I am not unprepared for such but the sensitive and emotional gal I am, means that you can expect more tears this next little while as we all work through this new journey together.


Thank you to my husband and my kids who have been my strength when I felt I was unable to achieve my dreams and goals as I moved through self discovery and many challenges to become who I am today. I myself have strategically carved out and created my work career of which I feel is only going to blossom with opportunity in the next while as I have found my passion and living it.

As a family we have shared many what we called "mystery tours" together and this guys is really no different but the only change is that we know where we are going or where we want to be,  so it becomes the reality of how we accept the opportunities and  challenges that will likely present themselves to us as we journey there. I have to say, for me,  knowing I have you standing proudly behind me reciprocating the love, patience and empathy I have taught you,  that I will survive (and maybe even blossom) as you both go off to further expand your knowledge at university.

Have fun and as I have told you before, this is the time of your life and that you may not realize but you are creating a little piece of your own story each and every day.

Originally posted 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment